The latest home (and office trend) recently has been to add lots of greenery. While I love plants, there is another type of green that is making a big splash – Moss! Adding a touch of greenery to your bathroom can make a significant difference in the ambiance of the space. One way to do this is by installing a shower moss wall. A shower moss wall is a vertical garden that is installed in your shower, providing a beautiful and calming atmosphere while you bathe.
Shower moss walls are made of real moss that has been preserved to maintain its natural look and feel. The moss is typically arranged in a pattern or design, creating an eye-catching focal point in your bathroom.
Not only do shower moss walls add aesthetic value to your space, but they also have a practical purpose. The moss helps to absorb excess moisture in the air, reducing the risk of mold and mildew growth in your bathroom.
What is a Shower Moss Wall?
A shower moss wall is a type of living wall that is specifically designed for use in the shower. It is a vertical garden made up of different types of moss, such as Sheet moss, Reindeer moss, or Bolmoss.
that are arranged in a way that creates a beautiful and natural greenery. The wall is typically mounted on the shower wall and can be used to add a touch of nature to your bathroom.
Living walls, also known as green walls, are a popular trend in interior design. They are made up of plants that are grown vertically on a wall. Living walls are known for their ability to purify the air, reduce noise levels, and provide a calming effect.
A shower moss wall is a type of living wall that is specifically designed for use in the shower. It is a great way to bring a touch of nature into your daily routine. The wall can be made up of different types of moss, such as sheet moss, and can be arranged in different patterns to create a unique and beautiful design.
A shower moss wall is a great way to add a touch of natural greenery to your bathroom. It can help to purify the air, reduce noise levels, and create a calming effect. If you are interested in adding a shower moss wall to your bathroom, be sure to work with a professional who can help you design and install the wall safely and effectively.
Benefits of a Shower Moss Wall
A shower moss wall is a unique and innovative way to bring nature into your home. It not only looks beautiful but also offers several benefits that make it a great addition to any bathroom. Here are some of the benefits of having a shower moss wall:
Improves Air Quality
Moss is a natural air purifier and can help remove pollutants and toxins from the air. This makes it a great addition to your bathroom, where air quality can often be poor due to the use of cleaning products and other chemicals.
A shower moss wall can help improve the air quality in your bathroom and make it a healthier environment for you and your family.
Moss thrives in humid environments, and a shower moss wall can help add humidity to your bathroom. This can be especially beneficial during the winter months when indoor heating can make the air dry and uncomfortable.
The added humidity can also help keep your skin and hair hydrated, making them look and feel healthier.
One of the best things about a shower moss wall is that it is virtually maintenance-free. Moss requires very little care and can thrive in low-light and low-humidity environments.
This means that once your moss wall is installed, you can sit back and enjoy its beauty without having to worry about watering or pruning.
Prevents Mold Growth
Mold thrives in warm, humid environments, and bathrooms are often a breeding ground for mold growth. However, moss has natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that can help prevent mold growth.
This makes a shower moss wall a great way to keep your bathroom mold-free and healthy.
Finally, a shower moss wall adds a touch of natural beauty to your bathroom. The vibrant green color of the moss is soothing and calming, and can help create a spa-like atmosphere in your bathroom. It is a unique and innovative way to bring nature into your home and create a relaxing and peaceful environment.
Types of Moss Walls for Showers
When it comes to moss walls for showers, there are three main types to consider: real moss walls, preserved moss walls, and faux moss walls. Each type has its own unique characteristics and benefits.
Real Moss Walls
Real moss walls are made from living moss that has been harvested and preserved for use in interior design. These walls require regular maintenance, such as misting and watering, to keep the moss alive and healthy.
Real moss walls can be customized to fit any shower size and shape, and they come in a variety of colors and patterns. These are best for humid areas of the house like bathrooms or kitchens.
Preserved Moss Walls
Preserved moss walls are made from real moss that has been treated with a special preservation solution to keep it looking fresh and vibrant. These walls require very little maintenance, making them a great option for busy homeowners who want the look of a moss wall without the upkeep.
Preserved moss walls come in a variety of colors and patterns, and they can be customized to fit any shower size and shape.
Faux Moss Walls
Faux moss walls are made from synthetic materials that mimic the look and feel of real moss. These walls require no maintenance and are a great option for homeowners who want the look of a moss wall without the cost or upkeep.
Faux moss walls come in a variety of colors and patterns, and they can be customized to fit any shower size and shape. Faux moss is great for large areas as well such as office buildings and conference areas.
When considering a moss wall for your shower, it’s important to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of each type. Real moss walls require regular maintenance but offer a natural and customizable look. Preserved moss walls require very little maintenance and offer a fresh and vibrant look. Faux moss walls require no maintenance and offer a cost-effective and customizable option.
Materials Used for Shower Moss Walls
Shower moss walls are a unique and beautiful addition to any bathroom. These walls are made from preserved reindeer or caribou moss, which is a type of lichen. The moss is carefully preserved to create a material that does not require the same level of maintenance as living walls.
When it comes to creating a shower moss wall, there are a few materials that are commonly used. These materials include:
- Frame Kit: A frame kit is used to create the structure of the moss wall. These kits come in a variety of sizes and shapes, and can be made from materials such as wood or metal.
- Moss: The main material used in a shower moss wall is, of course, the moss. This moss is available in a variety of colors and textures, and can be arranged in different patterns to create a unique and interesting design.
- Glycerin: Glycerin is often used to preserve the moss and keep it looking fresh and green. This substance helps to maintain the moisture content of the moss and prevent it from drying out.
- Soil: Some shower moss walls incorporate soil into the design. This soil can be used to grow small plants or herbs, which can add a pleasant scent to the bathroom.
- Foam: Foam is used as a backing material for the moss. This material helps to provide structure and support for the moss, and can also help to absorb excess moisture.
- Tile or Concrete: In some cases, tile or concrete may be used as a base material for the moss wall. These materials can provide a durable and long-lasting foundation for the moss, and can also add a unique texture or pattern to the design.
- Grout: If tile is used as a base material, grout may be used to fill in the gaps between the tiles. This can help to create a seamless and uniform appearance for the moss wall.
- White Paint: Some shower moss walls incorporate white paint into the design. This paint can be used to create a contrast with the green moss, or to add a subtle texture or pattern to the wall.
There are many different materials that can be used to create a beautiful and unique shower moss wall. By choosing the right materials and incorporating them into a thoughtful and creative design, it is possible to create a stunning and functional addition to any bathroom.
Installation and Maintenance of Shower Moss Walls
Installing a shower moss wall requires careful planning and execution to ensure that it thrives in its new environment. Here are some steps to follow:
- Choose the right location: Shower moss walls need a humid environment to thrive. Therefore, it is essential to choose a location that is not exposed to direct sunlight, and there is adequate ventilation to prevent mold growth.
- Prepare the surface: Before installing the moss wall, ensure that the surface is clean and free of any debris. You can use a damp cloth to wipe the surface clean.
- Install the moss panels: Drill holes in the wall and install the appropriate mounting dowels. While being careful of the moss, drill through the panel, thus leaving mounting points on the wall.
- Water the moss: Once the moss wall is installed, water it thoroughly to ensure that it is moist. You can use a spray bottle to mist the moss wall daily to maintain the required humidity levels.
Maintaining a shower moss wall is relatively easy, but it requires regular attention to ensure that it remains healthy and attractive. Here are some tips to help you maintain your shower moss wall:
- Watering: Shower moss walls need to be watered regularly to maintain their moisture levels. You can use a spray bottle to mist the wall daily or use a watering can to water it thoroughly once a week.
- Cleaning: Over time, your moss wall may accumulate dust and debris. To clean it, use a soft-bristled brush to gently remove any dirt or debris. Avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaning agents as they can damage the moss.
- Bugs and Spores: Moss walls are a natural habitat for bugs and spores. To prevent infestations, inspect your moss wall regularly and remove any visible bugs or spores. You can also use a natural insecticide to keep bugs at bay.
Design Ideas for Shower Moss Walls
Shower moss walls are a unique and eco-friendly way to add a touch of nature to your bathroom. Here are some design ideas to inspire you:
Living Wall Concept
Create a living moss wall bathroom in your shower can be done by covering an entire wall with moss! This is a great way to bring the outdoors inside and create a spa-like atmosphere. Use a variety of moss types to add texture and interest to the wall.
A vertical garden is another option for a shower moss wall. Use a combination of moss and other plants to create a lush and green wall. Choose plants that thrive in high humidity environments to ensure they will survive in the shower.
If you are looking for an eco-friendly design, consider using reclaimed wood or recycled materials for the frame of your moss wall. This will not only look great but also help reduce your carbon footprint.
Modern Bathroom Decor
For a modern bathroom decor, keep the moss wall simple and clean. Use a single type of moss and keep the frame minimalistic. This will create a sleek and contemporary look.
Kitchen Moss Wall
A moss wall is not limited to the bathroom. Install a moss wall in your kitchen to create a unique and eye-catching design feature. Use herbs and other edible plants to create a functional and beautiful living wall.
Really, a shower moss wall is a great way to add a touch of nature to your bathroom. With a variety of design options available, you can create a unique and personalized moss wall that fits your style and personality.
Where to Buy Shower Moss Walls
If you’re looking to add a touch of nature to your shower, a moss wall can be a beautiful and unique addition. Here are a few places where you can buy shower moss walls:
Etsy is a fantastic place to look for a diverse amount of different mosses. Your local nursery or even craft store may carry different types of moss. Amazon also offers some moss!
What Plants Are Good to Add to a Moss Wall?
When adding plants to a moss wall in bathroom, it’s important to choose species that can thrive in a low-light and humid environment. Here are some plant options that work well in moss walls:
- Ferns: Various ferns, such as the Bird’s Nest Fern (Asplenium nidus) or the Maidenhair Fern (Adiantum spp.), are great choices for moss walls. They have delicate, feathery fronds that add a touch of elegance and lushness.
- Fittonia (Nerve Plant): Fittonia species, also known as Nerve Plants, have vibrant and colorful foliage with intricate vein patterns. They thrive in humid conditions and can add a pop of color to your moss wall.
- Peperomia: Peperomia plants come in a wide variety of leaf shapes and colors, making them visually appealing additions to a moss wall. They are generally low-maintenance and can tolerate low-light conditions.
- Pothos: Pothos (Epipremnum aureum) is a popular and versatile plant that can thrive in various environments, including moss walls. They have trailing vines with heart-shaped leaves and are known for their air-purifying properties.
- Baby Tears (Soleirolia soleirolii): Baby Tears is a small, delicate plant with tiny leaves that create a lush, carpet-like appearance. They thrive in moist environments and can add a soft and elegant touch to your moss wall.
- Tillandsia (Air Plants): Tillandsia, or air plants, are unique plants that don’t require soil to grow. They can be attached directly to the moss wall or suspended in the air using wires or other supports. They come in various shapes and sizes, adding an intriguing element to your moss wall.
- Begonia: Begonias are available in numerous species, and many of them have beautiful, textured foliage that can complement the moss wall. They prefer high humidity and indirect light, making them suitable for this type of environment.
- Orchids: Certain orchid species, such as the Phalaenopsis or the Jewel Orchid (Ludisia discolor), can be a stunning addition to a bathroom moss wall. They offer delicate flowers and unique foliage patterns, creating an exotic and eye-catching display.
Remember to consider the specific care requirements of each plant, such as light, water, and humidity levels, to ensure they thrive in your moss wall. Regular monitoring and proper maintenance, such as misting and occasional pruning, will help keep your moss wall and accompanying plants healthy and vibrant.
A shower moss wall can be a unique and beautiful addition to any bathroom. It can provide a natural and calming atmosphere while also improving air quality. However, it is important to note that maintaining a moss wall can require some effort and attention.
To ensure the health and longevity of the moss, it is necessary to keep the humidity level in the bathroom at an appropriate level. This can be achieved through proper ventilation and regular cleaning to prevent mold and mildew growth. Additionally, it is important to choose a moss species that is well-suited for the bathroom environment.
While a shower moss wall can be a low-maintenance option for greenery in the bathroom, it is still important to regularly check the moss for signs of stress or damage. If necessary, it may need to be trimmed or replaced.
A shower moss wall can be a unique and beautiful addition to any bathroom, but it is important to carefully consider the maintenance required before installing one.
Would you consider a moss wall? If you tried it out, let us know!